A personal statement is required in the process of applying to colleges and universities. It provides an opportunity to the applicant to make his or her application as unique as possible. A good personal statement cannot compensate the bad scores or grades, but a great personal statement might be able to make up for bad grades and low scores in tests. With the help of some tips for writing personal statements, you would be able to chart out a good personal statement.
- The first thing which you need to be clear about is to think why you need to go to a specific college or graduate school or a university. You need to decide whether it is a good investment, as it requires you to spend money. Think of what you plan to do, when you complete your degree and you should be able to convey the same in your personal statement.
- If an individual is planning to become a teacher, then the statement should include a brief description of how he / she will be able to make an impact on others with what he / she has learned. A well drafted personal statement connects education at a given institution with a certain benefit to the society.
- It is essential that you mention why getting admission in that particular school you are applying to is important to you. It is better if you have an idea about, what areas the school excels at and you specify the same. Specifying what exactly you like or admire about the school and its past history will be helpful. You should clearly specify why you want to attend that particular institute when there are various other schools and colleges.
- You need to be honest and brief while answering to specific questions. You will be asked to give your personal statement, in most of the applications and additional specific questions will be included. You should be able to answer questions like “Where do you see yourself in five years?” very carefully. A response which is concise, honest and interesting will be able to impress the admissions teams of educational institutions.
- You should take your time before answering the specific questions. The questions will be framed in such a way, that it makes you think about why you need to pursue that degree and its usefulness in future. You should be able to express more than your interest in a high-paying job for obtaining a degree, in your personal statement. It should effectively convey your intention to play a key role in the society. It should be able to reveal, what you value strongly, and how helpful you will prove to be in future years.